Sunday 13 January 2013

Marginal Drawings.

Michael Whynot. Pencil drawing, 2013.


Michael Whynot. Red chalk drawing, 2013.


Michael Whynot. Pencil drawing, 2013.


Michael Whynot. Red chalk drawing, 2013.


I strive, daily, to be a better draftsman; all of us who draw do this. It is in our nature. We all endeavour to do better, that which we have a calling to do. It is the trait in human nature which spurs us on to great things.

In the course of writing this blog, I began to notice that I was drawing in the margins of my notebook - no great works of art, to be sure, but I believe that it says something about the mindset necessary if we are to improve our abilities. We must draw constantly (or sculpt, or paint). Practice is the surest path to improvement. Drawing must eclipse all else. It will always be easier to watch television, or read a book, or even write a blog than to put in the necessary time practising. But I know of no other way: practice, practice, practice.

Draw without ceasing; never concede. Draw, even when you can't draw, your mind as your pencil, your memory the paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment